CineFestival: The Nation's Longest Running Latino Film Festival
CineFestival En San Antonio
41st Edition: Frontera In Focus
July 11-14, 2019
CineFestival, presented by the Guadalupe Cultural Arts Center, is the nation’s original and longest running Latino film festival.
From July 11-14, 2018, CineFestival will present the best in contemporary Latino independent films at the historic Guadalupe Theater in San Antonio. The program boasts current and relevant films without pretense. Its grassroots history and approach provide community members immediate access to and unique encounters with artists who create engaging films. Here in a fertile and innovative climate, lifelong learners, film enthusiasts, and community are invited to honor and celebrate the presentation of Latino cinema.
Past guests and filmmakers have included:
Gina Rodriguez, Guillermo del Toro, Edward James Olmos, Benjamin Bratt, Jesse Borrego, Esai Morales, Hector Galan, Luis Valdez, Lou Diamond Phillips, Cheech Marin, Lourdes Portillo, Lalo Alcaraz, Miguel Arteta, Guillermo Gomez-Peña, Culture Clash, and some of the fresh voices in Latino film including Aurora Guerrero, Cruz Angeles, Alex Rivera, and last year’s feature film subject Dolores Huerta.
Other CineFestival highlights include:
- Q&A sessions, panel, and informal discussions: Filmmakers travel to San Antonio for their film screenings and participate in pre- and post-screening receptions, open discussions, and special events that are open to the public; casual and relaxed, these events are created specifically to encourage dialogue with artists.
- Networking opportunities for both filmmakers and audience.
- Master classes for Texas Latino filmmakers: theme-based workshops centered on the technical and fundamental aspects of filmmaking while encouraging discussion and critique of contemporary and historical issues.
- Special programs: Free Family Day screenings, a Youth Program showcasing San Antonio student filmmakers, and a Senior Screening for the area’s elderly film lovers.
- The prestigious Premio Mesquite Awards for Best Feature, Best Documentary, Best Short, Emerging Artist, and Special Jury Award presented to invited filmmakers.